NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) held the Food City 500 today at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS)
Food City 500
Results (starting pos.) from Bristol Motor Speedway
1. (12) Carl Edwards, No. 99 Ford
10. (20) Kyle Larson, No. 42 Target Chevrolet SS
38. (17) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet SS
- This was Kyle Larson’s first career NSCS top-10 finish in just his eighth series start
- Larson was the highest finishing Sunoco Rookie of the Year candidate tonight at BMS
- McMurray led one time for 10 laps tonight
- With less than 50 laps to go, McMurray drove through some oil from another damaged race car and wrecked, causing damage that couldn’t be repaired in time to return to racing action
- Tonight was the first DNF (did not finish) for McMurray since Oct. 7, 2012 at Talladega Superspeedway, ending a 45-race streak of running at the finish of each NSCS race
- The Food City 500 was delayed by more than one hour because of rain, and was red-flagged for 3 hours, 18 minutes for rain, but eventually ran the full scheduled distance
Details of the Day
Jamie McMurray – No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet SS:
“Such a disappointing way to end a strong run. Our car was really good and the guys on this McDonald’s team had great pit stops to keep us up front throughout the night, until our misfortune in the closing laps. I ran into some oil from the car in front of me, I couldn’t turn and just went straight up to the wall, such a tough way to end race where our car was so good”.
Kyle Larson – No. 42 Target Chevrolet SS:
“We ran a really good race tonight. I am excited to bring home the first top-10 for Team Target this season. The Target Chevy was strong all night and the crew did a great job to keep us in contention with great pit stops. All-in-all a good race for Team Target”.
Next up on the NSCS schedule will be the Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. FOX television, Sirius/XM 90 and MRN radio will have live coverage next Sunday, March 23 at 3:00 pm ET.
Be sure to follow us for up-to-the-minute updates on Twitter @CGRTeams